At the year of 1923, when Greeks forced to leave from Asia Minor, about 400 families from the village of Katirli of Vithinia, left their beautiful place and found a new place to fit in, as refugees, according to their parish they belonged to.
Parishioners of the Saint Paraskevi church came to Stavros, creating the village “Paralia Stavros” and parishioner of the Saint John church went to Thssaloniki, founding the village “Neo Katirli” at today’s Kalamaria municipality. Some months later refugees from the village of Madytos in Prousa added to the ones in Paralia Stavros and instantly embody to the village.
Build on the down hills of mountain Cholomontas, named Sougliani, just 800m away from the sea, the village of Ano Stavros is known for its great climate and the panoramic view that offers for many centuries to its residents and visitors.
It is believed that residents from the ancient villages of Argilos, Vormiskos, Avlona and Stagira first inhabited the village when they searched for protection high on the hills. It is also believed that the name of the village came out with an alteration of the name Stagira. (Stagira – Stagiros – Stagros – Stavros. Another theory justifies the name of the village Stavros cause of the cross point it was located, between of roman Via Egnatia and the path to mountain Athos.
Ano Stavros’s visitors have the chance to:
- Be astonished by the panoramic view of Strymonikos gulf spread out in front of his eyes all the way to mountain Paggaio in Kavala.
- Honor the liberation war heroes visiting the war memorial.
- Wonder on the forest that surrounds Ano Stavros witch offers to the village priceless dew during the hot summer.
- Pay respect to the old church of Saint Dimitrios, where there are saved old icons and wall paintings since 1842, and to watch the old imposing bell-tower build there since 1870. Right next of the old church stands the new one, devoted to the holly cross.
- Admire traditional stone houses marks of the famous Macedonian architecture.
- Enjoy the shady traditional square that is built on the center of the village, the place of many cultural events during the summer.
- Taste the traditional cuisine at the local taverns witch is famous for the quality of the food the offer.